Recent evidence, and a report in the latest Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, is making it clear that Xylitol can be hazardous to dogs.
Xylitol, a natural sugar substitute, is being used more extensively in human products such as gum, toothpaste, sugar free candies and baked goods, without causing issues however, a small amount can be fatal when consumed by a dog.
In dogs, Xylitol causes liver failure and often results in death or the need for euthanasia. As with the consumption of chocolate, some pets may be fine after ingesting Xylitol. The problem is that it causes a drop in blood sugar which can happen in as little as 30 minutes or may take as long as 12 hours to cause a problem. If you suspect that your pet has ingested Xylitol, please take him/her to your veterinarian immediately and ask that your pet’s blood sugar be checked.
Dr. Dave Gantenbein
Antelope Valley Animal Hospital
« Go Back